Saturday, November 6, 2010

I Know Where I'm Livin for The Next 2 Years!

Yes the day has finally come! They told us today where our sites are, what schools we'll be teaching at, and what we're expected or supposed to teach. They revieled our sites to us in a fun way with a big map of Tanzania and our pictures close to our sites, plus they had a group do some dancing, singing, drumming, and they put on quite the performance. They also gave us apples (which aren't too hard to get, but suprisingly expensive) and glorious cold sodas!  Anyway, it turns out that I'm heading to the Singida Region, which is right in the middle of the country, to the town of Itigi where I'll be teaching at Itigi Secondary School. The info I was given said I would be teaching chemistry and biology but the school really needed a math teacher. So if I can work things out I'd prefer to teach biology and math but we'll see what happens when I get there. I'm pretty happy with my placement, it's going to be quite warm for the most part. From what I hear it's either really hot or really windy and wet. I'm replacing a former volunteer who just left about a week ago and it sounds like I have some pretty big shoes to fill. I'm hoping I'll have his house and he left me some furnishings or something so I'm not starting from scratch when I get out there. Either way it's going to be a great adventure and I'm excited to know where I'm going to be living and working for the next 2 years!

Kesho (tomorrow) we're all going to shadow current PCV's (peace corps volunteers). I'm heading down to the Mbeya region with my fellow trainee, Tim to shadow Katie, a volunteer who teaches math and physics and who we all met our first week in country. It should be a fun trip, we have a full week to see what life is really like at a volunteer's site and what to expect in terms of teaching, taking care of ourselves, cooking, etc. We have a good 12 hour bus ride ahead of us tomorrow so it's going to be kind of a long/hot day on a bus. Hamna shida ( no prpblems) it's all part of the experience.     

1 comment:

  1. so exciting! best of luck with the move and the transition into teaching. i love knowing about all of us 505ers living abroad... go us!

    ReplyDelete